- ▪ I. capitalist cap‧i‧tal‧ist 1 [ˈkæptl-st] noun [countable]1. ECONOMICS someone who supports capitalism:
• The country has really changed; it's OK to be a capitalist now.2. FINANCE someone who owns or controls a lot of money and lends it to businesses to create more wealth:
• The country has finally captured foreign capitalists' attention, if not yet their investment.ˈventure ˌcapitalist FINANCEsomeone who invests money in new businesses:
• In the fourth quarter, venture capitalists invested $317 million in computer-related business start-ups.[m0] ▪ II. capitalist capitalist 2 also capitalistic adjective ECONOMICSusing or supporting capitalism:
• leaders of the Group of Seven largest capitalist democracies
• Beijing agreed to maintain Hong Kong's capitalist system for at least 50 years.
* * *Ⅰ.capitalist UK US /ˈkæpɪtəlɪst/ noun [C]► POLITICS a person who supports capitalism: »
He is broadly perceived as a free-market capitalist.► ECONOMICS a person who invests large amounts of money in a business or businesses: »
What is profitable for the individual capitalist may not be beneficial for the system as a whole.Ⅱ.capitalist UK US /ˈkæpɪtəlɪst/ adjective (also capitalistic)► ECONOMICS, POLITICS based on the system of capitalism: »
Competition, free enterprise, and profit are the values at the heart of the global capitalist system.»
a capitalist society/democracy/economy»
a capitalist country/nation/state
Financial and business terms. 2012.